For the next two months (plus a week or so), I’ll be reading the following, except where indicated (as in I’ve already read the item or have no plan to do so). I will keep updating this post as I finish reading these finalists.
2078 ballots cast for 652 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 156 to 480.
- All the Birds in the Sky, by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books) – Read 01/15/2017; liked it
- A Closed and Common Orbit, by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US) – Read 10/29/2016; loved it
- Death’s End, by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus) – Probably won’t be able to read this one because I haven’t read the second one in the series.
- Ninefox Gambit, by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books) – Read 5/19/2017; liked it
- The Obelisk Gate, by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books) – Read 11/23/2016; liked it
- Too Like the Lightning, by Ada Palmer (Tor Books) – Might not have time to read this one but it’s in the Current Month queue
1410 ballots cast for 187 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 167 to 511.
- The Ballad of Black Tom, by Victor LaValle (Tor.com publishing) – Read 03/29/2017, liked it
- The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, by Kij Johnson (Tor.com publishing) – Read 06/04/2017, liked it
- Every Heart a Doorway, by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com publishing) – Read 12/3/2016; liked it
- Penric and the Shaman, by Lois McMaster Bujold (Spectrum Literary Agency) – in Current Month queue
- A Taste of Honey, by Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor.com publishing) – in Current Month queue
- This Census-Taker, by China Miéville (Del Rey / Picador) – Read 5/23/2017; completely unsure of whether I liked it or not
1097 ballots cast for 295 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 74 to 268.
- Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex, by Stix Hiscock (self-published) – not planning on reading this selection for obvious reasons
- “The Art of Space Travel”, by Nina Allan (Tor.com, July 2016) – Read 5/6/2017; liked it
- The Jewel and Her Lapidary, by Fran Wilde (Tor.com, May 2016) – Read 5/10/2017; liked it
- “The Tomato Thief”, by Ursula Vernon (Apex Magazine, January 2016) – in Current Month queue
- “Touring with the Alien”, by Carolyn Ives Gilman (Clarkesworld Magazine, April 2016) – Read 5/24/2017; liked it
- “You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay”, by Alyssa Wong (Uncanny Magazine, May 2016) – Read 5/6/2017; liked it
Best Short Story ♥
1275 ballots cast for 830 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 87 to 182.
- “The City Born Great”, by N. K. Jemisin (Tor.com, September 2016) – Read 5/25/2017; liked it
- “A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers”, by Alyssa Wong (Tor.com, March 2016) – Read 5/20/2017; liked it
- “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine, November 2016) – Read 5/20/2016; loved it
- “Seasons of Glass and Iron”, by Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales, Saga Press) – Read 5/20/2016; loved it
- “That Game We Played During the War”, by Carrie Vaughn (Tor.com, March 2016) – Read 5/20/2016; loved it
- “An Unimaginable Light”, by John C. Wright (God, Robot, Castalia House) – Read 5/20/2017; meh
♥ — I have a three-way tie for top spot in this category. Or rather, “That Game We Played During the War” will probably get the top spot, but the second spot is a tie for me between “Our Talons” and “Seasons of Glass and Iron.”
Best Related Work
1122 ballots cast for 344 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 88 to 424.
- The Geek Feminist Revolution, by Kameron Hurley (Tor Books) – Read 3/28/2017; liked it
- The Princess Diarist, by Carrie Fisher (Blue Rider Press) – Read 5/5/2017; meh
- Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg, by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro (Fairwood) – Read 5/28/2017; loved it
- The View From the Cheap Seats, by Neil Gaiman (William Morrow / Harper Collins) – in Current Month queue
- The Women of Harry Potter posts, by Sarah Gailey (Tor.com) – Available online at http://www.tor.com/tag/women-of-harry-potter/ – Read 5/23/2017; liked it
- Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000-2016, by Ursula K. Le Guin (Small Beer) – in Current Month queue
New this year and as a test or trial, is the Best Series category. And the finalists are:
1393 votes for 290 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 129 to 325.
- The Craft Sequence, by Max Gladstone (Tor Books) – I’ve read the first book and own all the other books in the series.
- The Expanse, by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK) – I’ve read the first book of this series, watched both seasons of the Syfy show. Have next three books and one novella to read this month.
- The October Daye Books, by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair) – I’ve never heard of this series or read any of its books.
- The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series, by Ben Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean) – I’ve never heard of this series or read any of its books.
- The Temeraire series, by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper Voyager UK) – I’ve only read the first book in the series, even though I think I own all the paperbacks.
- The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen) – I’ve read all of these and can vote with a free conscience for this one.
The deadline for voting is Saturday 15 July 2017 at 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time (2:59 am Eastern Daylight Time, 07:59 British Summer Time, 09:59 in Finland, all on 16 July). The 75th Worldcon, hosted in Helsinki this year, will announce the winners for the various Hugo Awards on August 11th.