Similar to my previous post, I’ll be updating this one as I get a chance to watch the finalist in both of these categories. Long Form is going to be my most difficult ranking of any of the Hugo finalists. I currently have a three-way tie in my mind between Arrival, Rogue One and Stranger Things. And I have yet to actually watch Hidden Figures!
Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form)
1733 ballots cast for 206 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 240 to 1030.
- Arrival, screenplay by Eric Heisserer based on a short story by Ted Chiang, directed by Denis Villeneuve (21 Laps Entertainment/FilmNation Entertainment/Lava Bear Films) – Watched opening weekend and purchased the movie; loved it
- Deadpool, screenplay by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick, directed by Tim Miller (Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation/Marvel Entertainment/Kinberg Genre/The Donners’ Company/TSG Entertainment) – Watched via Dish Network free weekend for one of the premium movie channels; liked it
- Ghostbusters, screenplay by Katie Dippold & Paul Feig, directed by Paul Feig (Columbia Pictures/LStar Capital/Village Roadshow Pictures/Pascal Pictures/Feigco Entertainment/Ghostcorps/The Montecito Picture Company) – Watched via Starz streaming app through my subscription; liked it
- Hidden Figures, screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi, directed by Theodore Melfi (Fox 2000 Pictures/Chernin Entertainment/Levantine Films/TSG Entertainment) – Watched 5/17/2017; loved it
- Rogue One, screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, directed by Gareth Edwards (Lucasfilm/Allison Shearmur Productions/Black Hangar Studios/Stereo D/Walt Disney Pictures) – Watched opening weekend and again after I purchased the movie; loved it
- Stranger Things, Season One, created by the Duffer Brothers (21 Laps Entertainment/Monkey Massacre) – Watched via Netflix streaming; loved it
Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form)
1159 ballots cast for 569 nominees.
Votes for finalists ranged from 91 to 193.
- Black Mirror: “San Junipero”, written by Charlie Brooker, directed by Owen Harris (House of Tomorrow) – I would have to binge watch the entire series via Netflix streaming
- Doctor Who: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Ed Bazalgette (BBC Cymru Wales) – Watched this when it aired but don’t remember it so I’ll have to rewatch it from my DVR
- The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes”, written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough (SyFy) – Watched this; loved it
- Game of Thrones: “Battle of the Bastards”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Miguel Sapochnik (HBO) – not interested in this book nor the spinoff HBO series
- Game of Thrones: “The Door”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Jack Bender (HBO) – not interested in this book nor the spinoff HBO series
- Splendor & Misery [album], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes) – I have no idea what this is so I’ll have to research.
Obviously, the Short Form is not going to cause me nearly as many headaches as the Long Form finalists are.